Monday, June 15, 2015

Pie part 2


I picked strawberries this morning!  I had to go farther away but this patch was beautifully maintained and the berries nice, large, not sluggy even with all the rain we've had, and it didn't take much time to pick 8 pounds.  The trick is to go early before it gets so hot your glasses slide off your face.

 OK, here's the recipe.  Can't be any easier than this:

Cook one cup water, one cup sugar and three tablespoons cornstarch till it bloops.  You know how cornstarch is when it's done, right?  Take the pan off the heat and stir in one box of strawberry jello. That's it! 4 ingredients: sugar, cornstarch, jello and berries.
 Cool the gel.  I put it in the fridge and then monitor it so it doesn't set up, just cools down so the hot gel doesn't cook the berries. When cooled fold in the berries. I may change my favorite color to red!
Put it in the fridge to set.   Pile it high the gel will hold it and believe me, because you piled it high when you cut it you will hear exclamations all round the table.  I've said it a million times, this pie is the reason God made strawberries.  I don't sully it with whipped cream.  That's overkill.


682920 
And if you have a little one in the house, when you come home with some red ripe strawberries, sit down and read this book with them.  It's priceless.

Now I have to see if I can find in the packed quilt boxes some black rick rack.  Can you believe there is no place in town that sells it?  There are just two possibilities but neither carries it.  I don't believe I have any and if I do it's packed and hidden.   Off to the hunt.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That is some pie there! Is cornstarch the same as cornflour? It looks quite spectacular. I will follow the house rules and not eat the pie with cream.....but when your back is turned I will whip some on...sorry but according to my British background, there are no strawberries without cream. Hahaha.
    Re the retirement baking, it's all good because I still have a child at home, who needs a steady supply of baked goods while studying. I have found my self actually eating less if I bake, well by the time I have licked my fingers and the beater, I am full!!

    ReplyDelete